Le Mans Is Going Virtual (Finally)
Watch a historic first FIA-endorsed virtual 24 Hours of Le Mans competition with me this weekend.
Every year since 2012, I have organized a watch party for the 24 Hours of Le Mans – the legendary, grueling, uniquely-enchanting Superbowl of motorsports – during which friends and I binge on stimulants to stay up for as much of the 4+-day race weekend as possible. Because of The Big Virus, this year's race has been postponed until September 19-20. I was pretty upset about this until it was announced last month that a virtual race would be held on the traditional weekend this year. The competition is going to be hosted on rFactor 2 – a racing simulator which I hadn't heard of (not that I'm all that up-to-date on simming, mind you) – which supposedly will allow for a 50+ car grid, a dynamic day/night cycle, and driver changes. (Very curious as to how that last one works.)
- Official Website for the 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual
- The Official Le Mans Esports Series channel on Motorsport.tv
- The closest I could find to an official 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual Twitter list (subscribed to by the official 24 Hours of Le Mans Twitter account)
- My own Auto Twitter list (1200+ automotive-related accounts)
- My own ongoing Twitter Moment for the race
- My ongoing screenshot gallery of the race
- My ongoing YouTube playlist of Virtual Le Mans livestreams
- The Official 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual spotter's guide
- The Official 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual rulebook
- The Official 2020 24 Hours of Le Mans entry list
- “The Ultimate Guide to 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual” | Lemans.org
- “The 24 Hours of Le Mans Virtual” | Race Tech Magazine
- r/WEC on Reddit & the r/WEC Discord Server
- Porsche Motorsport's Official stream on YouTube.
- “Mondays on the Mulsanne – Ask the /r/WEC Community Anything! Jun 8-14” | r/WEC on Reddit
- “[OFFICIAL] 2020 Le Mans Virtual 24 – Race Thread” | r/WEC on Reddit
- Last Lap's live blog of the race.
If you're interested in endurance racing and/or are already a fan of the World Endurance Championship, please do join me on my new automotive Twitter account and/or the Honk channel on Extratone's Discord in watching/keeping up with the race. I'd like to finally finish writing an account of the event itself (something I start every year but never finish, it seems) as well as an essay reviewing this year's spectacular collision between the “real” professional motorsports and eSports industries.
I will be keeping this post updated with new resources/news as the weekend progresses.
someone keeps honking the horn – legitimately think it's @JensonButton lmao.— David Blue (ＬＥ ＭＡＮＳ ＭＯＤＥ) (@dieselgoth) June 11, 2020